Thursday, April 25, 2024
 Popular · Latest · Hot · Upcoming
13
rated 0 times [  19] [ 6]  / answers: 1 / hits: 46260  / 16 Years ago, wed, february 18, 2009, 12:00:00

I helped a friend out by doing a little web work for him. Part of what he needed was an easy way to change a couple pieces of text on his site. Rather than having him edit the HTML I decided to provide an XML file with the messages in it and I used jQuery to pull them out of the file and insert them into the page.



It works great... In Firefox and Chrome, not so great in IE7. I was hoping one of you could tell me why. I did a fair but of googling but couldn't find what I'm looking for.



Here's the XML:



<?xml version=1.0 encoding=utf-8 ?>
<messages>
<message type=HeaderMessage>
This message is put up in the header area.
</message>
<message type=FooterMessage>
This message is put in the lower left cell.
</message>
</messages>


And here's my jQuery call:



<script type=text/javascript>
$(document).ready(function() {
$.get('messages.xml', function(d) {
//I have confirmed that it gets to here in IE
//and it has the xml loaded.
//alert(d); gives me a message box with the xml text in it
//alert($(d).find('message')); gives me [object Object]
//alert($(d).find('message')[0]); gives me undefined
//alert($(d).find('message').Length); gives me undefined
$(d).find('message').each(function() {
//But it never gets to here in IE
var $msg = $(this);
var type = $msg.attr(type);
var message = $msg.text();
switch (type) {
case HeaderMessage:
$(#HeaderMessageDiv).html(message);
break;
case FooterMessage:
$(#footermessagecell).html(message);
break;
default:
}
});
});
});
</script>


Is there something I need to do differently in IE? Based on the message box with [object Object] I'm assumed that .find was working in IE but since I can't index into the array with [0] or check it's Length I'm guessing that means .find isn't returning any results. Any reason why that would work perfectly in Firefox and Chrome but fail in IE?



I'm a total newbie with jQuery so I hope I haven't just done something stupid. That code above was scraped out of a forum and modified to suit my needs. Since jQuery is cross-platform I figured I wouldn't have to deal with this mess.



Edit: I've found that if I load the page in Visual Studio 2008 and run it then it will work in IE. So it turns out it always works when run through the development web server. Now I'm thinking IE just doesn't like doing .find in XML loaded off of my local drive so maybe when this is on an actual web server it will work OK.



I have confirmed that it works fine when browsed from a web server. Must be a peculiarity with IE. I'm guessing it's because the web server sets the mime type for the xml data file transfer and without that IE doesn't parse the xml correctly.


More From » jquery

 Answers
63

Check the content type of the response. If you get messages.xml as the wrong mime type, Internet Explorer won't parse it as XML.



To check the content type, you need access to the XMLHttpRequest object. The normal success callback doesn't pass it as a parameter, so you need to add a generic ajaxComplete or ajaxSuccess event handler. The second parameter for those events is the XMLHttpRequest object. You can call the getResponseHeader method on it to get the content type.



$(document).ajaxComplete(function(e, x) {
alert(x.getResponseHeader(Content-Type));
});


Unfortunately there's no way that I know of in Internet Explorer to override what the server sends, so if it's wrong you need to change the server to send text/xml for the content type.



Some browsers have a overrideMimeType method that you can call before send to force it to use text/xml, but Internet Explorer doesn't support that as far as I know.


[#99953] Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 16 Years  [reply] [flag answer]
Only authorized users can answer the question. Please sign in first, or register a free account.
jaycie

Total Points: 414
Total Questions: 96
Total Answers: 117

Location: Christmas Island
Member since Mon, Oct 19, 2020
4 Years ago
;